Saturday, October 1, 2011

my friends are my estate..... :)

As I sit and look at my "friends" list on Facebook... I wonder to myself... do I really have 220 friends?  Granted, some of them are my family.... but seriously... 220?  I don't think so.


So I looked for the definition of a true friend... and I found this:

A good friend will tell you what you want to hear.
A true friend will always tell the truth.

A good friend seeks to talk with you about your problems.
A true friend seeks to help you with your problems.

A good friend brings a bottle of wine to your party.
A true friend comes early to help you cook and stays late to help you clean.

A good friend hates it when you call after they've gone to bed.
A true friend asks you why you took so long to call.

A good friend wonders about your romantic history.
A true friend could blackmail you with it.

A good friend thinks the friendship is over when you have an argument.
A true friend calls you after you had a fight.

A good friend, when visiting, acts like a guest.
A true friend opens your refrigerator and helps himself.

A good friend has never seen you cry.
A true friend has shoulders soggy from your tears.

A good friend doesn't know your parents' first names.
A true friend has their phone numbers in his address book.


A good friend expects you to always be there for them.
A true friend expects to always be there for you.





I can put faces of my friends in each of these scenarios.  But how do you attract and keep true friends?  It's Simple: 


  • First and foremost.... Be the friend you wish to have.  Simple.  
  • Listen.  The art of listening is one of the most difficult arts to master.... a true friend always listens... and not just hears.
  • TrustIf you treat others as good and trustworthy people, they will treat you likewise. Believe in your heart that people are naturally good, even when they seem to be the opposite. People will feel how you believe in them.
  • Know the right time to do things. Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it’s all over. ~Gloria Naylor

    There are so many more things that I could say... but I'm sure you get the point.  Friendship is a very special gift,  one I used to take for granted.  In reality, friendship is a form of unconditional love.  It's given without restriction, without condition and without the expectation of anything in return.  Those of you who are true friends in my life... know it.  You're loyal and love me for who I am.... craziness and all.  Why?  Because you know I'm there for you night and day... with open arms for a hug, a true listening ear... and Girl Scout cookies.  :)


  


No comments:

Post a Comment