Monday, April 22, 2013

NOT acceptable... ever.

If you know me, you know how I love celebrity gossip and that I usually start my day not with a check of the national news (I get to that eventually...) but of People.com and Eonline.com - among others.

If you're new, you now know the depth of my intelligence.  ;)


Here's the thing. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not perfect. (That was a joke...I totally am. Nah, still a joke. Nevermind.)

I preach to my kids about how it's okay to make mistakes and how the real value is in the lesson, not in the mistake. We tell them making mistakes is okay, just don't make them life changing ones. 

It's no secret I have celebrities I detest and I adore.. but I've gotta tell you, this news about Reese Witherspoon has brought me down.

Is it because America's darling comedic actress and seemingly perfect girl-next-door made a mistake? 

Nope. Not at all. 

It's the mistake she made. 

Listen, everyone makes bad judgment calls and I'm not saying I haven't made a few of my own, but drinking and driving is the one mistake I cannot - and will not - ever have compassion or understanding for. 

Period.

Maybe it is because I often see groups of people boozing it up at restaurants and know that they'll have to make their way home on the same roads as my 17 year old niece and thousands of other people's 17 year old daughters (and sons); Maybe it is because I've seen many friends over the years leave parties and dinners and other functions after one (or three) too many cocktails. Whatever one of the many reasons, driving while intoxicated is something I have zero tolerance for. 

Do I like to have a cocktail or two when I'm out? Absolutely.
Do I have a cocktail or two if I have to drive home? Only one. 
I know my .08 limit (sadly, one glass of wine) and when I'm out and am the driver, I stick to it. 

Before some of you chastise me for overreacting, I realize she wasn't driving. But c'mon. Her husband blew a .139. That's enough over the limit to know better. For both of them. 

I'm not trying to sound like Little Miss Goody Two Shoes here (although if history is telling, I guess I am), but I'm just disappointed that Reese and Mr. Reese were so idiotic.  I guess leaving the Ford Fusion at the bar and getting a taxi or a limo would've just simply cost too much. 

Sorry, Reese. I could've forgiven (and probably laughed at) a bar fight, petty theft, destruction of property, or for sure your disrespectful (and pretty hilarious) rant to the cop, but you crossed the line when you chose to do something that could so easily and stupidly harm others.  There's many many options out there to take when intoxicated.  Driving isn't one of them.

My two cents.  Take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment