Monday, May 6, 2013

mommy's day

Mother's Day is almost upon us, and this year, I've made a wish list.





The end.


Nah, there's more.


Listen, I love my kids fiercely; I love their hugs and homemade cards and spending some good QT with them, that should go without saying, but I've never understood the concept or purpose of Mother's Day. I mean, if the day is really supposed to be about pampering moi, then why can't I just be left alone for a few hours of peace and quiet while everyone else maybe does what I ask them to do the other 364 days a year? Is it really too much to ask? Forget the lotion from Bath & Body Works or the new bird feeder or even the breakfast in bed. What I really want is...


1. To go a whole day without someone telling me they need something bought/washed/made by tomorrow.
2. For everyone to pick up their crap without me caterwauling at them.
3. A mimosa for breakfast.
4. Followed by a nap.
5. For someone else to decide what to make for dinner, get the groceries and make it.
6. An hour long back rub with no strings attached.
7. For the laundry baskets to all be empty, and not because all the dirty laundry is in foot high piles on bedroom floors.
8. For these words to come out of someone's mouth, "Oh, I see the toilet needs scrubbing and the bathroom trashcan is full. Let me take care of that."
9. Or these, "I've planned a whole day of fun! You, on the other hand, are going to the spa, ma'lady."
10. For everyone to pick up their crap without me caterwauling at them.
11. A trip to Target where the only thing on the list is "something unnecessary for yourself".
12. Dry towels.
13. For everyone else to clean up the messes they made.
14. For someone to offer cleaning up something other than the messes they made. For once.
15. Pie.
16. A day where I don't find one sock in 13 different places (and I do mean one) or 47 hair bands littering the floor.
17. To be the recipient of the nightly back-scratches and hair-stroking.
18. For everyone to pick up their crap without me caterwauling at them.


Really, I'll take two or three things from this list and be happy (as long as one of them is #15.)


What would be on your dream list?


No comments:

Post a Comment