Sunday, July 10, 2011

people.....

It's was my sister's 40th birthday yesterday.... and being the timely person I am, I ventured to the mall last night to get her a gift. (Don't criticize.... she's away on vacation... she'll never know!)

So, I decided not to go to just any mall.... I drove to the Galleria.... a two story store extravaganza. Why? Well... my sister doesn't wear clothes from Target or Walmart.... it's Ann Taylor or JCrew for her. The PERFECT stores to bring two children to shop. I like to give gifts I know people would use... and usually not buy for themselves. Off we went!

You would think by now I would stick a stroller in the back of my van... as I am the queen of spontaneity.... and the mother of a very curious 3-year old. But no.... the stroller sits neatly folded in my garage... exactly where it shouldn't be.

So after purchasing a few things from Ann Taylor, and Darya dismantling the entire shoe rack by trying on every pair of high heels they had.... we decided to check out the new H&M store. It's here where I realized.... after 41 years... I have become a very patient woman.

Darya wanted a Hello Kitty crown. Nope. Not happening. So, she ventured into a clothing rack.... or shall I say UNDER a clothing rack.... to pout. It's at this moment my eyes were opened to the cruelty of America. This young girl... couldn't be more than 15.... was in the CHILDREN'S section of the store. She glances towards me and says "I hate people."

REALLY? You HATE people? How is that possible? Sure... my daughter was being a bit disruptive..... but you HATE people? Hummmm... I thought.

People come in all shapes, sizes and cultures. People are doctors, day care providers, cashiers and store owners. People save lives, comfort others, give of themselves for what they believe in. People discover cures to diseases, rush to the scene of tragic accidents, hold doors for elderly ladies in wheelchairs and give blood in hopes they may save a life.

How can you HATE people?

As she stormed away, I felt sorry for her. I wanted to grab her and give her a big hug... as I think she may be missing something in her life.

As annoying as things can be at times, we need to remember how lucky we are to be part of a simple thing called "life." We need to be thankful for PEOPLE.... cause they're the ones that supply us with everyday love and entertainment. Big people, little people.... doesn't matter. Who would ever want to give up that 3-year-old hug in the morning followed by that little voice, "Mommy, how was your sleep?" Priceless.

So, as annoying as that fellow shoppers' little girl may seem.... don't hate people. We're what makes the world go round.... and may be that ONE person that changes your life forever.

What will your random act of kindness be today?

No comments:

Post a Comment