Wednesday, July 6, 2011

what's that smell?

Cigars. An old distinguished man's cancer stick. Yet, the name alone brings back so many memories. My grandfather's maroon Buick smelled of them.... and I can still picture him watering his front lawn in Chicago with a big fat one hanging out of his mouth.

It's a smell that's engraved in my mind forever.... one that will ALWAYS remind me of him. It allows me to slip back in time....instantaneously.

Rose Milk Lotion. Has my grandmother written all over it. I can still see her getting ready for Saturday night mass in Strykersville.... with her red lipstick and white pearl necklace.

The ocean.
Bread baking.
Grass being mowed.
New books.


The list goes on.

How about you? What scent makes you smile?

1 comment:

  1. Cigar smell always reminds me of Grandpa. Often time the cigars weren't even really lit. He just used it more like a pacifier. But the smell brings back a lot of good memories.

    Keep writing Laura!

    ReplyDelete